Every real estate agent has their own answer to the question of whether or not they chauffeur buyers around when showing homes. What used to be an expected nicety has become a matter of preference for both buyers and agents.
Those who prefer to drive clients around may cite some of these reasons:
- It’s more professional. Driving your clients can be seen as a professional courtesy.
- It allows buyers to see the neighborhood. By taking driving off their plates, clients can observe the area during the drive and get a better feel for the neighborhood.
- It’s valuable communication time. Many agents already feel that they don’t get enough of a chance to communicate with buyers. Driving together gives you the chance to converse.
Here’s a couple things to think about before offering to drive your clients between showings:
- Buyers may want to discuss privately. When showing homes to a couple or a family, they might want to be able to talk about the property openly in the privacy of their own car immediately after touring it.
- Your car needs to be guest-ready. When you drive clients around, your car becomes an extension of your office space. It needs to be clean and welcoming, which is another upkeep task on your to-do list.
- It can be a safety risk. A car accident can become a significant liability. Double check your car insurance to make sure it has accurate coverage for passengers.
In the end, we can all agree that whatever the client wants, goes! Whether your buyer is more comfortable driving themselves or would prefer to be driven to and from showings, it’s important to factor in their wishes.