Market Update For the Week of March 26, 2018

Info That Hits Us Where We Live

After heading down two months in a row, Existing Home Sales flew back up in February, increasing 3.3%, to a 5.54 million annual rate. Demand remains strong: 46% of homes sold in less than a month.

New Home Sales were flat in February, off just 0.6%, to a 618,000 annual rate. They’re still up 0.5% from a year ago, and there’s plenty of room for growth: new homes are only 10% of sales, versus 15% before the downturn.

Zillow reports the median monthly rent bumped to $1,445 in February, gaining at the fastest rate in nearly two years. Expect more renters to become buyers.

Business Tip of the Week

Try to be all things to all people and you wind up motivating no one. Target an audience and tell them how you meet their special wants and needs. Go niche and get rich.

Review of Last Week

TRIPLE PLAY… The major stock indexes tumbled, as three big items came into play: 50 million Facebook users had their data mined without their consent, the Fed raised the Funds Rate a quarter point, and the President allowed for tariffs on Chinese goods.

The Facebook scandal incited cries for greater data regulation, which could hurt social media company profits. But the rate hike was expected, and came with the good news that the economic outlook has strengthened.

Trade war worries escalated, even though initial salvos were relatively weak–tariffs on $60 billion of Chinese imports, answered by up to $3 billion in duties on U.S. imports over there. Some say this is just The Art of the Deal, but investors hate not knowing the outcome.

The week ended with the Dow down 5.7%, to 23533; the S&P 500 down 6.0%, to 2588; and the Nasdaq down 6.5%, to 6993.

Tanking stocks did not send lots more investors into bonds, though Treasuries finished the week mostly higher. The 30YR FNMA 4.0%, bond we watch ended the week unchanged, at $102.36. After falling the prior week, national average 30-year fixed mortgage rates held steady in Freddie Mac’s latest Primary Mortgage Market Survey. Remember, mortgage rates can be extremely volatile, so check with your mortgage professional for up-to-the-minute information.

Did You Know?

First American reports, “given today’s strong economy, our housing market is well positioned to adopt to rising mortgage rates.” If mortgage rates doubled overnight, their computer model posits “a mere 5% decrease” in sales.

This Week’s Forecast

UP GO PENDING HOME SALES, GDP, CONSUMER SPENDING, INFLATION, MANUFACTURING…  The experts say Pending Home Sales should show a February turnaround, foretelling a gain in existing home sales a few months out. They also expect GDP economic growth, Personal Spending and Core PCE Prices (inflation) to head up, as well as the Chicago PMI gauge of Midwest manufacturing.

The Week’s Economic Indicator Calendar

Weaker than expected economic data tends to send bond prices up and interest rates down, while positive data points to lower bond prices and rising loan rates.

Economic Calendar for the Week of Mar 26 – Mar 30

Date Time (ET) Release For Consensus Prior Impact
Mar 27
10:00 Consumer Confidence Mar 129.5 130.8 Moderate
Mar 28
08:30 GDP – Third Estimate Q4 2.6% 2.5% HIGH
Mar 28
10:00 Pending Home Sales Feb 2.5% -4.7% Moderate
Mar 28
10:30 Crude Inventories 03/24 NA -2.62M Moderate
Mar 29
08:30 Initial Unemployment Claims 03/24 230K 229K Moderate
Mar 29
08:30 Continuing Unemployment Claims 03/17 NA 1.828M Moderate
Mar 29
10:00 Personal  Income Feb 0.4% 0.4% Moderate
Mar 29
08:30 Personal Spending Feb 0.2% 0.2% HIGH
Mar 29
08:30 Core PCE Prices Feb 0.2% 0.3% HIGH
Mar 29
09:45 Chicago PMI Mar 62.0 61.9 HIGH
Mar 29
10:00 U. of Michigan Consumer Sentiment – Final Mar 102.0 102.0 Moderate


Federal Reserve Watch

Forecasting Federal Reserve policy changes in coming months… Now that the Fed did its first hike of the year, the next one isn’t expected until June. But that one should hold through August at least. Note: In the lower chart, a 2% probability of change is a 98% certainty the rate will stay the same.

Current Fed Funds Rate: 1.25%-1.50%

After FOMC meeting on: Consensus
May 2 1.50%-1.75%
Jun 13 1.75%-2.00%
Aug 1 1.75%-2.00%


Probability of change from current policy:

After FOMC meeting on: Consensus
May 2          2%
Jun 13        80%
Aug 1        25%

Statistics source:

Material in this article from: Inside Lending Market Snapshot

This is an advertisement for Jim Passi. The material provided is for informational and educational purposes only and should not be construed as investment and/or mortgage advice, or a commitment to lend. Although the material is deemed to be accurate and reliable, there is no guarantee of its accuracy. The material contained in this message is the property of Citywide Home Loans and cannot be reproduced for any use without prior written consent. This message is intended for business professionals only and is not intended for distribution to consumers or other third parties. The material does not represent the opinion of Citywide Home Loans. Citywide CO NMLS #67180. Regulated by the Division of Real Estate.

The Jim Passi Team at Citywide Home Loans proudly serves Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, Indiana, Georgia and Flordia. If you are looking to buy a home or refinance, we have you covered. Apply Now to get started.
Posted in
Jim Passi - Citiwide Home Loans

Jim Passi
Regional Manager
NMLS# 158000

1284 West Northwest Hwy.
Palatine, IL 60067
Mobile: 847-899-1813

Jim and his staff have been simply GREAT!

Jim and his staff have been simply GREAT !!! They’ve been so patient, accommodating and professional, that I can’t wait to be able to sell my property or refinance it, because by then I will already know who to call !! As a first timer buyer, I had millions of questions, and Jim had to explain all the procedures like he had to explain them to a their grader kid; again, I can not say more thanks to Jim and his staff for the exceptional positive experience. I will definitely recommend his services to anyone in need of, without the fear they’d be disappointed.

Fabio C